Football Management & Technology

Truro Return to Top Spot


Date: Thu 13 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

Truro City returned to the top of the Pitching In Southern League Premier Division South table after an emphatic 4-0 victory over Swindon Supermarine at Bolitho Park on Wednesday night.

Tyler Harvey celebrates (Photo: Dave Crawford)

Tyler Harvey celebrates (Photo: Dave Crawford)

The White Tigers lost the leadership 24 hours earlier when Weston-super-Mare won at Dorchester Town but re-claimed it with a burst of three goals in the opening 11 minutes which virtually killed off the visitors, who started the evening in seventh spot.

Paul Wotton’s side took only 6 minutes to open their account when Tyler Harvey made the most of some indecisive defending to beat new `Marine keeper Jaydn Mundle.

And then just 2 minutes later, Brad Hooper was guilty of a foul in the area and Harvey doubled his and Truro’s lead from the resulting penalty.

Just 3 minutes after that, Rocky Neal made it 3-0 with a firm header from a Connor Riley-Lowe cross.

The hosts could have led by more at half-time but `Marine held them to those early three goals.

As often happens when a team has a lead like that, the second half was slightly less interesting, although Neal did add a fourth for the hosts from close range with 9 minutes remaining.

Wednesday’s other game was also in Devon where Tiverton Town entertained Salisbury at the Ian Moorcroft Stadium.

And it saw Steve Claridge’s visitors’ triumph 4-2 to move into the top five.

The Whites took a 10th-minute lead slightly against the run of play after the hosts had missed a couple of decent chances to go ahead, most notably through Tom Purrington.

But Salisbury’s Dan Fitchett managed to finish off a free-kick at the far post to make it 1-0.

Purrington had an effort cleared off the line 5 minutes later and then on 17 minutes, the visitors doubled their lead when Antonio Diaz struck a fine free-kick past Tivvy `keeper Lewis Williams.

Williams` opposite number, Ged Benfield, made a couple of decent saves from Matt Buchan and Niall Thompson to keep his side’s two-goal lead intact at half-time.

With 2-0 leads, the next goal is always crucial – and it was Salisbury who got it, only 4 minutes after the restart when Darren Mullings finished neatly past Williams.

Then on 63 minutes, the visitors ensured the points went their way when Diaz headed home number four.

Ten minutes from time, loanee Alfie Moulden netted from close range to pull one back for Tiverton, and then 2 minutes into stoppage time, Benfield punched a corner into his own net to make the final score 4-2.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button