Sports News

PSG throw away lead as Manchester City win in Paris:

Despite a first-half lead for PSG after a goal from Marquinhos, an excellent Manchester City comeback ensured they left Paris with the advantage going into the second-leg. It was a cross turned shot from Kevin De Bruyne that started their comeback. Seven minutes later a Riyad Mahrez free-kick secured the win. PSG’s night worsened when Idrissa Gueye received a straight red card for a malicious tackle on Ilkay Gundogan.

A tale of two captains and two halves:

When PSG captain Marquinhos blasted his team ahead with a brilliant header fifteen minutes in, it was deserved. The Parisian’s had dominated the game for the first quarter and proceeded to carry on doing so for the remaining thirty of the first-half.

In that first-half PSG had nine shots, three big chances and dominated from the first whistle. Quick, tenacious and truly elite they looked like a footballing force of nature. Performing like a team, pressing as a unit and making the game look like boys against men

But, then in the second-half the tables were turned, the game turned on its head and the press and performance of PSG faltered away. Their nine shots in the first, turned to one in the second. Manchester City instead came out with a point to prove.

City dominated the second-half, playing with swagger and style. Looking like a team who had been denied a Champions League final for so long and weren’t prepared to wait any longer.

They would complete the first step of their comeback in the sixty-fourth minute, this time it was Manchester City’s captain who stepped up. Less than five minutes after narrowly missing with an acrobatic effort De Bruyne whipped in a cross that missed all potential targets. The ball instead, nestled into the back of the net.

Kevin De Bruyne celebrates against PSG after scoring.

Kevin De Bruyne celebrates against PSG after scoring.(Photo by Alex Grimm/Getty Images)

City naturally the killers they are smelt blood in the water, this was clearly not the same PSG side as in the first-half. A few minutes later saw PSG give away a needless foul just shy of the box. It looked set for captain De Bruyne to go for his second, but Mahrez stepped up and stroked home. Despite the distance of the goal, any quality was overshadowed by the mediocrity of PSG’s wall. Parting like the Red Sea, Mahrez’s goal avoided the usual blockade and flew into the net instead.

When Gueye picked up his red card with fifteen minutes left the game was as good as done. The worry for PSG now, is whether or not the tie will end the same way.

What’s next?

When the second-leg happens next Tuesday there will be positives for both teams going into the match. For City, their performance in the second-half has ensured they have edged ever so closer to a first Champions League final. PSG however, had an excellent first-half and even if their attitude in the second ultimately cost them the game, they are still a force to be reckoned with. Alongside this, PSG are yet to lose an away tie this season in the competition.

Either way, the neutral can expect an exceptional match next week.

Enjoyed this article? Let us know in the comments! And why not follow our socials? You can FollowLike and Subscribe to WD Sportz for more football news and updates

Cover photo (Photo by Alexander Scheuber – UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button