Football Management & Technology

Marlow FA Cup – Match Report






Uxbridge reached the Second Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in six years, with a hard-fought victory over Marlow at the Alfred Memorial Stadium. Uxbridge gave First Team debuts to three players. Matty Bonnett replaced the suspended Tyler Tobin in goal, Harry Seabrook took over in the centre of defence from skipper Andy O’Brien, who was unavailable and new signing Dan Williams, who joined from Hendon in midweek, led the attack. Danny Edwards also made changes from the starting eleven that defeated Thatcham Town on Monday. Jack Beadle, Kensley Maloney and Lenny Farhall dropping to the bench, for Juwon Akintunde, Victor Osobu and Williams.

Dominating from the kick-off it came as no surprise when The Reds took the lead in the 9th minute. Williams held the ball up and played it into the path of Osobu who let fly from 25 yards, and it flew past the despairing dive of Aaron Watkins in the Marlow goal. Uxbridge continued to take the game to their hosts and went close to extending their lead on a number of occasions. Firstly, Akintunde, from seven yards, failed to get a good connection on a pass from the hard-working Williams and the chance flew over the bar. A minute later Alex Witham fed a pass into the Osobu who from a tight angle beat Watkins but the ball cannoned back off the post. The woodwork came to The Blues rescue again in the 26th minute, this time Akintunde cut in from the right and curled a shot which struck the far post and rebounded across the six-yard box. Williams following up lifted a guilt-edged chance over the crossbar. After dominating the opening 30 minutes the first period drifted to its conclusion with The Reds wondering how they were only leading 1-0 at the break.

In the first half Uxbridge had twice as many attempts on goal than their hosts and won four corners compared to Marlow’s zero. However, The Blues weren’t about to give up on their FA Cup dream without a fight. Junaid Bell tested Bonnett with a well struck shot from distance and the debutant had to stretch to push the attempt over the bar, for Marlow’s first corner. Williams fired a shot across the face of goal, in a rare Uxbridge attack, as The Reds looked to manage the game and book their place in the Second Qualifying Round. Their cause was aided in the 77th minute when Curtis Ujah challenged Bonnett for a free-kick. The Blues centre-half dangled out a high foot and caught the Reds custodian in his groin. Referee Lee deemed this as dangerous play and sent Ujah for an early bath. To their credit the ten men continued to push for an equaliser. Dawid Rogalski went down under a challenge from Seabrook, but the man in middle waved away the loud appeals for a penalty. With the game deep into injury-time Uxbridge had two chances to put the tie to bed. Beadle’s shot, from Farhall’s pass, hit the inside of the post and thirty seconds later Osobu latched onto a mistake in the Marlow defence, only to blast the ball high over the bar when it seemed easier to score. (We’ll left him off after that thunderbolt in the first-half). Full-Time 1-0.

The Reds are once again on the road next week as they visit Chertsey Town in the FA Trophy. Chertsey are managed by ex-Reds legend Wayne Carter in what is an eagerly awaited tie.

Uxbridge Line-up: Bonnett, Andrew, Nugent, Jarra, Seabrook, Jackson, Akintunde, Hedley, Williams, Osobu, Witham. Subs: Paine for Witham, Farhall for Williams, Beadle for Akintunde. Not Used: Evans, Maloney, Peden and Poley.

Pictures by Nicole Delderfield.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button