Football Management & Technology

Chertsey – Match Report






Uxbridge maintained their bright start to the season with this well-deserved victory over strongly fancied Chertsey Town on Tuesday evening. After what seemed endless weeks of dry bright weather, which saw lawns up and down the country turn a rather dull shade of brown, the heavens opened and the game was played in a continual downpour. Mention must be given to the excellent playing surface which, despite the elements, provided the players with a green carpet on which to showcase their skills. Danny once again made changes to his starting line-up. Skipper Andy O’Brien returned in defence, Jack Beadle and Kensley Maloney were recalled, after missing out at Marlow.

The hosts got off to the perfect start with a goal in the opening two minutes. O’Brien appeared to hesitate as a ball was played through for Trevan Robinson to run onto and the lively forward took the ball around Matty Bonnett and despite the valiant efforts of Maurice Nugent, who slid across the greasy surface in-an-attempt to block the low shot, the ball somehow spun into the unguarded net off his body. The Curfews continued to look dangerous, Manager Wayne Carter had obviously called for a fast start against his old club (414 appearances in ten years), Maloney blocked a shot on the edge of the area and Bonnett had to be alert to keep out a close range effort, after Robinson had pulled the ball back from the bye-line. In the tenth minute Nugent was shown a yellow card following a late challenge and this card would come back to haunt the defender later in the game. After weathering the early storm, The Reds began to get a foothold in the game and equalised in the 14th minute. An eleven pass move cumulated in Beadle playing a pass out wide to Victor Osobu, who cut into the area and was checked as he made his way towards goal. Referee Heron pointed to the spot, even though Osobu managed to stay on his feet following the challenge. Beadle sending Nick Jupp the wrong way, 1-1. Minutes later Bonnett was hurt in a collision as he attempted to claim a cross and played the remainder of the game as a Terry Butcher, Sweden 1989, look-a-like. Uxbridge were playing some good slick football but were frustrated on more than a few occasions by the assistant referee’s raised flag. They took the lead five minutes from the break when Beadle flicked on Bonnett’s clearance to Dan Williams. The striker controlled the slippery sphere, turned and fired a low shot past the wrong-footed Jupp. Half-time 1-2.

The second period began with Chertsey playing long diagonal balls to their two pacey wide men. Nugent was tormented on a few occasions by the tricky Kai Hamilton-Olise and after committing a couple of fouls, Heron issued the final warning speech. Sensibly the decision was made to withdraw him from the fray and Mark Goodman, returning from injury, came on for his first game of the season. “Gooders”, was soon into the action, forcing Jupp to tip a well struck twenty-yard shot round the post. The Curfews play was becoming more and more direct, which the Uxbridge defence dealt with admirable. Josh Andrew looked assured at right-back and O’Brien and Babs Jarra were solid in the centre of the park. The Reds had a great chance to extend their lead in the 63rd minute. Beadle played a peach of a pass into the path of Osobu, who raced clear towards Jupp. Unfortunately, the out-stretched foot of the hosts custodian prevented Osobu claiming his third goal of the campaign. Beadle was having a superb night, tormenting the home defence and went close with a curling shot which grazed the outside of the far-post. Williams always looked a threat, going close with a shot from the edge of the box with Jupp rooted to the spot, as The Reds began to dominate. A Second Qualifying Round berth was secured ten minutes from time with a well worked third goal. Alan Hedley, does this man ever have a poor game, won the ball in midfield and fed it out-wide to Beadle. A step-over later and the ball was floating to the far-post where Williams rose to power a header into the top-corner. Full Time 1-3.

A very good performance, which bodes well for the rest of the season. The small matter of a FA Cup Second Qualifying Round trip to National League South side Eastbourne Borough is up next. Our last two encounters with National League sides have both resulted in victories and both on the road. Dartford in 2015 and Chippenham Town last season. Don’t things always come in threes?

Uxbridge Line-up: Bonnett, Andrew, Nugent, Jarra, O’Brien, Jackson, Maloney, Hedley, Williams, Osobu, Beadle. Subs Used: Goodman for Nugent, Ofosu for Osobu, Akintunde for Williams. Not Used: Poley, Talla, Seabrook, Paine.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button