Football Management & Technology

Weston Lose Unbeaten Record – The Southern League


Date: Wed 19 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

Weston-super-Mare lost their unbeaten record in the Pitching In Southern League Premier Division South night after losing 3-1 to third-placed Chesham United at the Optima Stadium on Tuesday night.

Yate v Winchester (B. East Photography)

Yate v Winchester (B. East Photography)

In front of a crowd of 737, the Seagulls, beaten at home for the first time for more than a year, fell behind after just 6 minutes when Jordan Edwards netted from close range following a corner.

And just 5 minutes later, Weston found themselves two-down when Zak Joseph’s cross was deflected past how own keeper by Lloyd Humphries.

Chesham held onto that 2-0 lead until the break, and then on 65 minutes, scored a killer third when Karl Oliyide’s effort came back off a post and Edwards was on hand to fire home the rebound.

Six minutes from the end of normal time, the Generals were reduced to ten-men when Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick was dismissed for a second yellow card.

And 2 minutes later, the hosts grabbed a consolation when Dayle Grubb curled a shot past Sam Beasant.

But the visitors held firm to move to within two points of the Seagulls and three of leaders Truro City.

Poole Town are now fourth after they followed up last Saturday’s win against Hartley Wintney with a good 3-1 success at Imber Court against Metropolitan Police.

The Dolphins hit the Met with a two-goal burst just before half-time, firstly through Luke Pardoe in the 43rd minute and then Tony Lee in first-half injury-time.

The Met pulled one back on 66 minutes through Herson Rodrigues-Alves from the penalty spot after Jasper Mather had been fouled.

But in the 77th minute, Poole ensured the points headed back to Dorset when Marcus Day made it 3-1.

Hartley Wintney secured their second win of the season to date – and first since August 16th – with a hard-earned 1-0 success against fellow strugglers North Leigh at the Memorial Fields.

The battle of the two village clubs was eventually settled with a fine effort from Zidan Akers, who struck a 25-yard shot past Millers` keeper Ben Taylor.

One of the remaining teams left in the Emirates FA Cup, Bracknell Town, were held to a 2-2 home draw by Hayes & Yeading United.

The Robins, who have a dream First Round tie against League One giants Ipswich Town to look forward to on Bonfire Night, haven’t won in the league though since the end of August.

But the 439 at The SB Stadium saw them take a 13th-minute lead through Jordan Esprit.

But, just 4 minutes later, home `keeper Simon Grant brought down Moses Emmanuel in the box and he dusted himself down to equalise from the resulting penalty.

On the hour-mark, the visitors took the lead when Mo Bettamer fired home a Paul Field cross.

Seven minutes later, however, Bracknell were back on level terms when, following a free-kick, Jack Dean’s header was saved by Rhys Byrne, only for George Knight to net the loose ball.

And it finished all-square which was probably about right on the night, leaving Hayes & Yeading in eighth and Bracknell in 15th.

The evening’s other game saw struggling Yate Town and Winchester City share six goals at the South West Interiors Stadium.

Calvin Dinsley gave the Bluebells an early 7th-minute lead that Warren Bentley cancelled out just 6 minutes later.

So, 1-1 at half-time, but on 58 minutes, it was Yate who restored their lead through Ollie Mehew.

And then Brendan Smalley made it 3-1 in the 64th minute and the Citizens were facing defeat.

Henry Brooks pulled one back in the 75th minute, but it still looked like the hosts were going to hold on for a third win of the campaign to date as the game entered 5 minutes of stoppage time.

And 2 of those added minutes had elapsed when Archie Willcox fired home City’s leveller.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button