Football Management & Technology

Tuesday`s Premier Division Central Round-Up


Date: Wed 14 Sep 2022

By Steve Whitney

Due to last Saturday’s games being called off, Tuesday night saw virtually a full set of fixtures in the Pitching In Southern Football League.

Chris Simpson captures action from Coalville v Ilkeston

Chris Simpson captures action from Coalville v Ilkeston

In the Premier Division Central, Ilkeston Town gained their first win since winning promotion as Northern Premier League Division One Midlands champions – and in comprehensive fashion against another of the promotion favourites, Coalville Town, at the Mander Cruickshank Solicitors Stadium.

A crowd of 574 saw the visitors, under interim bosses Jamie Ward and Ben Turner, take the lead a minute before half-time through Remaye Campbell.

Ashley Chambers pulled the Ravens back on level terms in the 58th minute, only for Montel Gibson to restore the Robins` lead 8 minutes later.

Then just 4 minutes later, new signing Dempsey Arlott-John made it 3-1 and a second for Gibson 5 minutes from time made it a 4-1 win for the visitors.

There was 422 at the CR Mot Centre Community Stadium to see Tamworth move into second spot in the early table with a 2-1 win against Basford United.

The Lambs got off to a great start when Dan Creaney put them ahead after just 6 minutes.

However, they weren’t able to add to that early advantage and on 64 minutes, Anthony Dywer pulled the Nottinghamshire side back on level terms.

But Andy Peaks` side pushed for a winner and it eventually arrived 5 minutes into stoppage time when, following a corner, Ty Deacon headed home.

Hednesford Town and AFC Rushden & Diamonds are still seeking a first win of 2022/23.

The Pitmen, with new manager Steve Burr on watching brief, were beaten 1-0 at Lye Meadow by an Alvechurch side for whom this was a third win to date.

The hosts took the lead 2 minutes before the break through Ethan Sephton.

But the visitors looked to have been handed a lifeline when home skipper Jamie Willetts was shown a straight red card on the hour-mark.

They weren’t able to take advantage though and remain on just two points from seven games.

Stratford Town now possess a won three, drawn three and lost just once from their seven matches after beating struggling Diamonds 2-0 at the Arden Garages Stadium.

The Bards could hardly have wished for a better start as Dan Vann, fresh from signing a new contract, put them in front in just the 2nd minute.

And then on 72 minutes, Dexter Williams ensured the points stayed in Warwickshire with Stratford’s second.

St Ives Town have now won four and lost three of their seven games after going down to a 2-1 defeat at Westwood Road against Leiston.

Adam Mills gave the visitors a 20th-minute lead that Nabil Shariff cancelled out 4 minutes before half-time.

But a goal from Ollie Saunders 11 minutes from time gave the Suffolk side their third win.

Switched Mickleover also recorded a third win, 3-1 at Dales Lane against Rushall Olympic.

Andy Dales put the visitors in front after just 8 minutes and Mason Warren doubled that 8 minutes later.

Veteran striker Stuart Beavon made the points safe for John McGrath’s side just shy of the hour-mark before Sam Whittall netted a consolation for the Pics 10 minutes from time.

Needham Market were another to have recorded a third win of the new season as they inflicted a 5-0 hammering on Royston Town at Bloomfields.

Kyle Hammond broke the deadlock by giving the Marketmen the lead right on the stroke of half-time.

Boosted by that, Hammond scored his and the home side’s second just after the hour-mark and then Ross Crane made it game over with a third on 73 minutes.

Pat Brothers and Jacob Lay added the icing on the cake with two more in the last 9 minutes for Kevin Horlock’s men.

And Redditch United and newly promoted Bedford Town also made it three wins from seven outings on Tuesday night.

The Reds won the derby at the Victoria Ground against Bromsgrove Sporting in front of a crowd of 824.

Reece Flanagan earned local bragging rights for a while with the only goal after 28 minutes.

A crowd of 466 at The Eyrie saw Bedford take advantage of a first-minute goal to beat Hitchin Town 3-0.

Tyrone Lewthwaite scored that early opener and 5 minutes before half-time, Hugh Alban-Jones doubled the Eagles advantage.

A second for Lewthwaite on the hour-mark ensured victory for Gary Setchell’s side.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button