Football Management & Technology

Tuesday’s Isuzu FA Trophy First Qualifying Round Review


Date: Wed 14 Sep 2022

By Steve Whitney

Tuesday night saw some of the Isuzu FA Trophy First Qualifying Round ties involving clubs from the Pitching In Southern Football League postponed from last Saturday take place – one or two somewhat controversially involving horrendous midweek travelling!

Minutes silence observed in every tie

Minutes silence observed in every tie

One of those saw newly promoted Division One South side Tavistock AFC have to travel 200 miles in a six-hour plus round trip to take on Division One Central outfit Kidlington at Yarnton Road.

In common with all the other games on Tuesday evening, an impeccably observed minutes silence was held in memory of Queen Elizabeth II’s passing.

But the game produced no goals, and it went straight to penalties which Tavistock won 4-2 to make the long journey home a lot happier.

Making almost as long a journey were Tavistock’s rivals and also newly promoted Exmouth Town as they travelled to Division One Central hosts Berkhamsted.

But this time it was a long and miserable long trip back for the visitors as the Comrades won 5-0 with a brace from JJ Lacey and singles for Lynton Goss, Ryan Blake and Adam Watkins.

It’s difficult to gauge an `upset` at this early stage of the competition as the teams are all Step 4 level.

However, there were some notable wins for clubs from the Southern League.

Cirencester Town, switched to the Division One Central this season, took full advantage of Isthmian League South Central side Basingstoke Town being reduced to ten-men to win 5-3 at the Simplyhealth City Ground.

Levi Irving gave the Centurians a 9th-minute lead that Jake Lee added to just 2 minutes later.

Ezio Touray (who played for yours truly as an under-18!) reduced the deficit 6 minutes later and then came the blow for the hosts when Nathan Smart was shown a second yellow card in the 39th minute.

Adulai Sambu made it 3-1 just 6 minutes after the break, only for Touray to pull a second back for the ten-men less than a minute later.

Sambu added his second and Cirencester’s fourth on 69 minutes and he completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot to make it a nap hand for the visitors with 8 minutes remaining, although Touray matched him when he too converted from 12 yards make the final scoreline 5-3.

Berko’s league rivals Harlow Town also triumphed away from home, running out 2-1 winners at Isthmian North side Great Wakering Rovers with new signing Terrell Egbri breaking the deadlock to put the Hawks ahead after 54 minutes.

Alex Hernandez equalised from the spot in the 81st minute, only for Samson Maagbe to win it for the visitors 3 minutes from time.

Two other Division One Central winners away from home were Ware and Hertford Town.

Ware enjoyed a good 3-0 win at Isthmian North side Maldon & Tiptree, who fell behind to a 15th-minute Rene Howe effort.

Liam Dulson added a second for Paul Halsey’s side just before the break and then the Jammers had Lance Akins dismissed for a second yellow card 6 minutes after the break and just 3 minutes later, Rechan Espirit made it 3-0 for the visitors.

It was a long evening for Hertford at the Total Power Stadium as they eventually triumphed 3-2 on penalties at Isthmian South East side Sheppey United.

David Ogbonna gave the Blues a 26th-minute lead that was wiped out by Warren Mfula on 31 minutes and Jefferson Aibangbee 5 minutes later.

But Jesse Lassen bagged a brace for the visitors on 71 and 73 minutes to put them 3-2 ahead, only for the experienced Jack Midson to level things again 10 minutes from time.

However, it was Hertford who kept their nerve in the shoot-out.

There were several Southern League sides losing to outside opposition.

From Division One Central, Welwyn Garden City lost 2-1 at Herns Way to Isthmian North newcomers New Salamis, whose Pap Jawara from the spot on 43 minutes and Derek Asamoah on 64 minutes cancelled out Jeddah Johnson’s 40th-minute opener for the Citizens.

Walthamstow also suffered a home defeat, 3-1 to Isthmian South Central outfit Ashford Town (Middx), for whom Lewis Flatman, Clyde Ondo and Danyaal Iqbal outgunned Matt Walsh for Stow.

Waltham Abbey were beaten 4-2 at Ashford’s league rivals Chipstead, whose Charlie Kennett, Jon Hood, Jensen Grant and Mike Dixon all scored in the opening half, with Richard Asamoah and an own goal accounting for the Abbots goals.

Biggleswade FC suffered a 5-2 defeat at The Grove against Northern Premier League Division One Midlands side Halesowen Town.

And the Greens were 2-1 ahead with goals from Tom Coles and Mekhi Angol by the 33rd minute, only for the Yeltz to win with second half braces from Jamie Insall and Richard Smith after Richard Gregory had out them ahead.

It wasn’t a good night for the town of Biggleswade as Robbie O’Keefe’s Town side were also knocked out by Halesowen’s league rivals Shepshed Dynamo.

Jordan Smith’s 72nd-minute effort proved enough for Dynamo at the Dovecote.

Kempston Rovers lost 1-0 at Hillgrounds to another NPL Division One Midlands side Dereham Town, for whom Mo Hassan scored 5 minutes before the break.

Apart from Exmouth, Division One South also lost Cinderford Town, beaten 1-0 at the Causeway Ground by Isthmian South Central side Thatcham Town, for whom Ashley Howell’s first-minute effort eventually proved enough.

In all-internal ties, Lymington Town caused a bit of an upset by winning 1-0 at unbeaten Division One South rivals Sholing.

The Linnets, yet to pick up a point in the league, won with an early goal from Nathan Hurst, with the Boatmen having Marvin McLean sent-off near the end.

Other Division One South teams through are Bristol Manor Farm, who edged a best-of-five-goal win at New Cuthbury against Wimborne Town, Bideford AFC, who won 3-0 at Willand Rovers, Paulton Rovers, who triumphed 2-1 at Highworth Town, Bashley, who beat Frome Town 4-1 at home, and AFC Totton, who eventually saw off Slimbridge 7-6 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at the Snows Stadium.

Bowing out were newcomers Westbury United, beaten 2-0 at Division One Central side Thame United, fellow new boys Hamworthy United, who were edged out 5-4 on penalties by Thame’s league rivals Didcot Town at the Loop Meadow Stadium after a 1-1 draw, and another of the newly promoted teams, Bishops Cleeve, who lost 3-2 at Kayte Lane by Division One Central outfit AFC Dunstable.

Also out are Division One Central side Barton Rovers, beaten by a 68th minute Simon Cooper effort for Isthmian South East visitors Chatham Town at Sharpenhoe Road.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button