Football Management & Technology

Tuesday’s Emirates FA Cup Replay Round-Up


Date: Wed 07 Sep 2022

By Steve Whitney

Tuesday evening saw just one `upset` involving clubs from the Pitching In Southern Football League in the Emirates FA Cup First Qualifying Round replays.

And that came at the Payaro Stadium where Premier Division Central club Stourbridge were beaten 2-1 by newly promoted Northern Premier League Division One West side Hanley Town.

And the main architect of the Glassboys` downfall was a familiar face in former Hednesford Town and Rushall Olympic striker Danny Glover.

He bagged a brace in the 26th and 72nd minute – the second from the penalty spot – with Lee Vaughan’s 63rd minute spot-kick having pulled the visitors back on level terms.

The others facing lower league opposition managed to get through.

Stourbridge’s league rivals Barwell won 3-0 at The Coppice against Midland League Premier Division Highgate United.

Dominic Brown-Hill gave the Canaries a 36th-minute lead that Max Brogan doubled 6 minutes into the second half.

And then on 75 minutes, Beck Ray Enoru ensured it would be Barwell hosting Vanarama National League North side Kettering Town in the next round when he made it 3-0.

Barwell’s league rivals Coalville Town are also through with a 2-0 success at the Mander Cruickshank Solicitors Stadium against NPL Division One Midlands neighbours Shepshed Dynamo.

A crowd of 810 saw Ashley Chambers break the deadlock to give the hosts a 65th-minute lead that Luke Shaw doubled 7 minutes later.

Premier Division South club North Leigh avoided a banana skin when they triumphed 3-1 in their replay at Wessex League Premier Division side AFC Stoneham.

The Millers got off to a great start and threatened to run away with it when they took an early 3rd-minute lead through Jordan Thomas and they added a second via a Levi Steele header just 6 minutes later.

But the hosts settled and reduced the deficit on 23 minutes with a goal from Liam Callaghan.

And although North Leigh held their lead, it wasn’t until stoppage time at the end of the game that substitute Jordan Alves made it 3-1 and they could relax.

The Millers` league rivals Metropolitan Police also came through their tricky away replay at Isthmian League South East Division outfit Corinthian.

However, Gavin Macpherson’s men required extra-time to go through.

The Met looked to be heading out of the competition when Oscar Housego finally broke the deadlock in the 89th minute to give the hosts the lead at Gay Dawn Farm.

But in stoppage time at the end of normal time, a goalmouth scramble resulted in Luke Robertson rescuing the Met with an equaliser.

And the tie looked to be heading for penalties until injury-time at the end of extra-time when Harry Taylor popped up with the visitors` winner and break Corinthian hearts.

There were three all-Southern League replays.

Plymouth Parkway, who have struggled so far this season since winning another promotion to the Premier Division South, edged through by the odd goal in five at Bolitho Park against Division One Central side Didcot Town.

A crowd of just over 300 saw another nail-biter in which Parkway led 2-0 with goals from Rio Garside after 48 minutes and then Ben Seymour on 56 minutes.

On 74 minutes, Connor Barratt’s successful spot-kick reduced the deficit and then 5 minutes from time, Taylor Bedwell pulled the Railwaymen back on level terms.

However, 5 minutes into stoppage time, Garside grabbed his second to take Parkway through.

Also avoiding an upset were Parkway’s league rivals Dorchester Town, who were another team to earn a late win against Division One South neighbours Wimborne Town.

It was the 89th minute when Olaf Koszela grabbed the all-important goal in the Dorset derby in front of a crowd of 426 at the Avenue Stadium.

The all-Division One South replay between Sholing and Slimbridge finished 5-2 to the Boatmen. But that was after extra-time as the Swans pushed them hard.

Lee Wort gave the hosts an early 5th-minute lead that Dan Mason added to in the 18th minute.

Four minutes before the break, Dylan Lewis reduced the deficit and then 7 minutes into the second half, Slimbridge were level through Marley Thomas.

That eventually earned an extra half-hour but that’s when Sholing took control, making it 3-2 just 5 minutes in through Rob Flooks and then Wort grabbed his second to make it 4-2 only a couple of minutes later.

Wort completed his hat-trick in the 102nd minute to see Sholing through 5-2.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button