Football Management & Technology

Tuesday`s Division One South Round-Up


Date: Wed 12 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

They always say that a team who have just lost their manager can be dangerous opponents. And that’s exactly what Tavistock AFC discovered on Tuesday night as they suffered a 6-2 hammering at the Sunseeker International County Ground against Hamworthy United in the Pitching In Southern League Division One South.

Cameron Munn receives his man of the match award for his hat-trick

Cameron Munn receives his man of the match award for his hat-trick

Against a fellow league newcomer in Tavistock who have made a decent start to the season, the Hammers, who lost manager Tim Sills to league rivals Wimborne Town earlier in the week, were in terrific form, taking a 13th-minute lead through Cameron Munn.

Dan Koita equalised after 25 minutes but Drew Eccott-Young restored the home side’s lead and then Munn added his second to make it 3-1 at the break.

Ed Hodge added the Hammers` fourth on 55 minutes and Munn completed his hat-trick in the 87th minute, with Curtis Young swiftly making it 6-1 before Ed Harrison’s penalty pulled a second back for Tavi.

Hamworthy are fourth and level on points with third-placed Frome Town, who were held to a 1-1 draw at Badgers Hill by bottom-side Lymington Town, for whom this was the first point of the season to date.

It looked like the Linnets were heading for an eighth successive defeat when James Ollis put Frome in front inside 3 minutes.

But, after a comfortable first half, the Robins succumbed to Luke Gray’s 68th-minute equaliser in front of just over 300.

Willand Rovers moved into fifth spot in the early table after winning the Devon derby at Bideford AFC.

The hosts, yet to record a league win in 2022/23, fell behind to a 20th-minute Will Richards effort and then Ashton Hewitt doubled that lead 8 minutes later.

Javan Wright pulled Biddy back into the contest just shy of the hour-mark, only for Lewis Hill to make it 3-1 in the 69th minute.

Surprisingly, Bristol Manor Farm are also still looking for a first league win of the campaign after going down 3-1 at The Creeek to newly promoted Bishops Cleeve, for whom this was a third victory.

A feisty encounter saw Lorcan Sheehan put Cleeve ahead after 28 minutes, only for Owen Howe to cancel that out in the 35th minute.

But right on the stroke of half-time, both sides were reduced to ten-men, with Howe and Cleeve’s Shane Anson seeing red after a fracas.

On 83 minutes, Cleeve finally went back in front through Harrison Reeves and then Farm went down to nine-men when Theo Llewellyn was given a straight red card for a late challenge.

Jack Watts added the visitors` third goal as stoppage time ticked in.

A terrific crowd of 590 saw a fiercely contested derby between Bashley and AFC Totton finish goalless at The GlenMex Stadium.

Paulton Rovers slipped into sixth spot after winning by the odd goal in five at Melksham Town, who they overtook in the table in the process.

A crowd of 387 at the Oakfield Stadium saw Ed Butcher give Rovers an early 2nd-minute lead that Will Harvey doubled after 27 minutes.

Melksham suffered a further blow in the 65th minute when they had Ryan Morgan shown a straight red card for a bad tackle on Butcher and Kyle Tooze made it 3-0 in the 84th minute.

But Rovers were made to sweat in the end as in the 89th minute, Albert Hopkins pulled one back for the hosts, and then 4 minutes into stoppage time, Dan McBeam made it 2-3, but Paulton held on.

Evesham United sandwich Paulton and Melksham in seventh spot after drawing 2-2 at Thornhill Park against Slimbridge.

Jordan Lymn, back at Evesham from Cirencester Town, opened the scoring in the 36th minute to give the visitors a half-time lead.

Just past the hour-mark, Kyle Belmonte put United two-up, only for the Swans to respond within 3 minutes through Marley Thomas.

And then 4 minutes into time added on at the end of the game, Thomas grabbed Slimbridge’s equaliser.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button