Football Management & Technology

Terrific FA Cup Performances by Biggleswade & Basford


Date: Wed 05 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

Two clubs from the Pitching In Southern Football League produced marvellous performances to progress through to the Fourth Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup on Tuesday night.

Basford celebrate their terrific cup win (Papapix)

Basford celebrate their terrific cup win (Papapix)

And pride of place has to go to Robbie O’Keefe’s Biggleswade Town as his Division One Central outfit knocked out Isthmian League Premier Division Billericay Town 3-0 at the Yvette Brewer Stadium.

After a tight beginning to the game, the Waders took the lead 5 minutes before the break when a corner was headed home from close range by defender Joe Howe.

The hosts then hit the Essex side within seconds of taking the lead by doubling it through Jon Clements.

Billericay, who were relegated from the National League South at the end of last season, almost clawed a goal back in first-half injury-time, but Chris Dickson’s header was well saved by home `keeper Timmy Smith.

The young custodian came to his side’s rescue a couple more times early in the second half, denying Dickson again twice, and then producing a terrific save to deny a diving header from Alfie Cerulli.

Then, on 77 minutes, Clements made sure it will be the Waders who went through with a fine strike past Harry Seaden from the edge of the area to make it 3-0.

Biggleswade’s reward for winning this Third Qualifying Round replay is a trip to the Easy As HGV Stadium to take on National League South side Farnborough on October 15th.

Facing National League side Solihull Moors on the same afternoon will be Premier Division Central club Basford United after they won their replay at the Jakemans Stadium against National League North side Boston United.

The Pilgrims made a poor start to the season and manager Paul Cox laid for that with his job.

However, their results have improved under Ian Culverhouse, and it looked like they were going to make the most of home advantage in this replay when they raced into a 2-0 lead inside the opening 9 minutes.

Scott Pollock’s header made it 1-0 and Jake Wright doubled that in the 9th minute.

Ironically, it was former Boston striker, big Gregg Smith, who pulled the Nottinghamshire side back into the tie 7 minutes after half-time.

And then Anthony Dwyer equalised in the 67th minute.

Neither side was able to find a winner, so it was extra-time and it was only 3 minutes old when Basford took the lead for the first time on the night when Luther Munakandafa scored with a fine strike.

But in the 105th minute, the Pilgrims were awarded a penalty for handball against Stern Irvine and Pollock converted from the spot to make it 3-3.

So, it was a penalty shoot-out to decide who would face Moors, and Basford `keeper Kieran Preston crucially saved Jordon Crawford’s effort to see his side through 4-3.

The league lost Plymouth Parkway from the competition, however, after they were beaten 3-1 by National League South side Oxford City in their replay at Bolitho Park.

But it took the Hoops an extra 30 minutes to be the team to travel to Isthmian Premier Division outfit Hornchurch in the next round.

Parkway took a 36th-minute lead when City `keeper Be Dudzinski’s poor punch fell kindly for Billy Palfrey to head home.

Dudzinski made amends though on 67 minutes when he produced a great save to prevent Palfrey from doubling the home side’s lead.

And that proved crucial as City grabbed an 89th-minute leveller when Josh Parker fired past Kyle Moore.

So, it was another 30 minutes to decide the outcome, and it was only 4 minutes old when Klaidi Lolos` effort somehow squeezed through Moore’s hands.

A second for Parker near the end of overtime made the final scoreline somewhat harsh on Parkway.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button