Football Management & Technology

Saturday’s Isuzu FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round Review


Date: Sat 08 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

It was a decent Saturday for clubs in from the Pitching In Southern Football League in the Isuzu FA Trophy.

Peter Else brilliantly captures a goal in the tie between Hitchin and Redditch

Peter Else brilliantly captures a goal in the tie between Hitchin and Redditch

There were also a handful of `upsets`.

Division One South club AFC Totton held on to an early 2nd penalty converted by the experienced Scott Rendell to oust Premier Division South side Merthyr Town from the competition at the Met Coaches Stadium.

The Stags` league rivals Bristol Manor Farm knocked Merthyr’s league rivals Gosport Borough out 2-0 at The Creek.

Farm are struggling in the league but broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute through Evander Grubb.

And then Jake Gosling made sure with a second in the 74th minute.

Northern Premier League Division One Midlands outfit eased through 3-0 at the Victoria Ground against Premier Division Central hosts Bromsgrove Sporting.

Oli Hayward gave the Scholars an early 7th-minute lead that Jack Langston doubled after 36 minutes.

The majority in the 605 crowd knew the tie was over when Langston scored his second and the visitors` third just shy of the hour-mark.

Division One Central club Harlow Town are through after a 3-1 penalty shoot-out victory over Isthmian League Premier Division side Hornchurch at the Pardus Wealth Stadium,

Aleko Aliaj gave the Hawks the lead on the half-hour mark, only for the Urchins to level through Ola Ogunwamide within 2 minutes.

Syrus Gordon restored the home side’s lead 7 minutes into the second half but Ollie Muldoon’s penalty 4 minutes from time took the tie to penalties.

On the wrong end of an `upset` were Premier Division South club Hendon, who were beaten by Isthmian South Central side Binfield 5-4 on penalties after a 0-0 draw in normal time at Silver Jubilee Park.

Premier Division Central club Mickleover were also beaten by lower league opposition as Isthmian North side Stowmarket Town triumphed 3-0 on penalties at Greens Meadow Ground.

Mickleover led through Elliott Reeves` goal 3 minutes after half-time right until near the end when Tevan Allen equalised for Stow, earning them a shoot-out which they had keeper James Bradbrook to thank for some heroic saves.

Winning through against outside opponents were Premier Division Central side Kings Langley, who secured a 2-1 success at The Homelands against Isthmian South East hosts Ashford United.

Kings had to come back from being a 25th minute Lanre Azeez goal down to win, courtesy of a Kenny Feyi penalty right on half-time and then Brad Watkins in the 72nd minute.

Other Premier Division Central teams through against other Trident Leagues were Basford United, who edged out NPL Division One Midlands visitors Harborough Town but only after a penalty shoot-out after Tyreace Palmer’s 25th minute opener for the hosts had been cancelled out by Nat Ansu 2 minutes after the break.

Basford won 5-3 on penalties.

Nuneaton Borough ensured there was to be no upset at Liberty Way against NPL Division One Midlands neighbours and newcomers Hinckley LR, winning 2-0 with Revarnelle James bagging a brace in thew 14th and 16th minutes.

Premier Division South clubs through against outside opposition include Hayes & Yeading United, who beat Isthmian North side New Salamis 1-0 at the SKYex Community Stadium, thanks to an 11th minute Hassan Jalloh effort.

Hanwell Town beat Isthmian Premier Division visitors Cray Wanderers 3-1 at the Powerday Stadium.

Danny Rowe put the Geordies ahead after 25 minutes and then two goals in 3 minutes just after the hour-mark from Adam Laaref and Shomari Barnwell killed Cray off, although Tom Stagg did manage a 90th minute consolation.

Chesham United enjoyed an excellent and surprisingly comfortable 4-0 win at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium against another Isthmian Premier outfit, Enfield Town.

The hosts found themselves 2-0 down at the break after goals from Jordan Edwards in the 16th minute and Jeanmal Prosper in first half injury-time.

Francis Baptiste made it 3-0 in the 72nd minute and then in the 89th minute, Rian Bray conceded a penalty and was sent-off for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

Nathan McDonald saved the spot-kick but the rebound was tucked home by T’Sharne Gallimore.

Bracknell Town eased through 4-1 at Isthmian Premier and former Trophy winners Canvey Island.

Mickel Platt after 17 minutes and magnus Abisogun on the half-hour mark gave the Robins a 2-0 interval cushion that Joe Grant and Jordan Esprit added to in the 75th and 79th minute respectively – the fourth goal from the spot.

Conor Hubble’s penalty 4 minutes from time was just a consolation for the Gulls.

Harrow Borough required penalties to go through in their tie against Isthmian Premier side Corinthian-Casuals after a 2-2 draw in normal time.

Billy Leonard’s excellent scoring form continued with a 10th-minute opener for the visitors, only for Seidou Sanogo on 33 minutes and then Charlie Edwards on 71 minutes to put Casuals in front.

Kai Omoko Brosnan equalised 2 minutes later, and Harrow won 3-1 in the shoot-out.

Division One Central club AFC Dunstable will take their place in the draw after winning 1-0 at Isthmian North side Witham Town’s Simarco Stadium.

Max Hercules` 73rd-minute effort eventually saw the OD’s through, with the Essex hosts having Lewis Payne dismissed 9 minutes later for an off-the-ball incident.

Premier Division Central club St Ives Town are out after losing on spot-kicks at Christchurch Meadow against NPL Premier Division side Belper Town after a 1-1 draw in normal time.

Myles Cowling broke the deadlock to give the Saints a 67th-minute lead that Brodie Litchfield levelled after 76 minutes.

But it’s the Nailers who head into Monday’s draw after a 4-2 penalty success.

St Ives` league rivals Barwell also lost to outside opposition in NPL Premier Division Gainsborough Trinity.

The hosts opened the scoring through Clayton Donaldson after 16 minutes, only for Jack Deakin to level 5 minutes later.

The turning point in the tie came just before the break when Barwell’s keeper Andy Wycherley was sent-off for handling the ball outside his area and Curtis Durose rubbed salt into the wound by scoring from the resulting free-kick.

Liam Waldock added a third for Trinity late on.

In all internal ties, Andy Peaks made a successful return to Hayden Road with his Tamworth side as they beat managerless and struggling Premier Division Central rivals AFC Rushden & Diamonds 4-0.

Dan Creaney bagged a brace for the Lambs, with Kyle Finn and former Diamond Alex Collard also on target.

Other Premier Division Central teams through include Alvechurch, who enjoyed a 3-0 win at The Eyrie against Bedford Town, courtesy of a brace from Jed Abbey after 33 and 77 minutes, sandwiched by a 54th minute Jack Concannon effort.

Coalville Town beat league rivals Ilkeston Town 4-1, thanks to a Tom McGlinchey brace, Steve Towers and Ash Chambers – Dempsey Arlott-John scored for Ilkeston.

Redditch United’s good start to the season continues as they won 3-0 at Top Field against league rivals Hitchin Town.

Max Sheaf gave the Reds a 17th-minute lead that Ryan Wollacott added to 5 minutes before the break.

On 57 minutes, Bernard Mensah made sure with the visitors` third.

Leiston avoided a home banana skin when they edged out Division One South side Evesham United 1-0 at Victory Road.

But the Robins made the hosts work for their win, which came courtesy of an 87th-minute George Quantrell effort.

Stourbridge out their league form behind them to record a good 1-0 win at Bloomfields against league rivals Needham Market, thanks to a first-half injury-time Lee Vaughan penalty after Jason Cowley had been brought down in the box.

There was a seven-goal thriller at Dales Lane between rivals Rushall Olympic and Hednesford Town.

The Pics took a 25th minute lead through Andre Carvalho-Landell which Samir Nabi cancelled out on the half-hour mark.

Five minutes after half-time, Will Shorrock made it 2-1 to the hosts and then Alex Fletcher added a third a few minutes later.

Adam Livingstone pulled the Pitmen back into the game at 2-3 on the hour-mark and then Ryan Nesbitt equalised on 65 minutes.

And Hednesford’s comeback was complete when the former Trophy winners sealed a 4-3 victory through Lewis Ludford-Ison in the 88th minute.

Royston Town also won their away tie at the Arden Garages Stadium against rivals Stratford Town.

The Crows came back from conceding an early 2nd minute Joel Nakatani-Brown own goal to win, thanks to the same player scoring at the right end on 35 minutes and then Matt Bateman 15 minutes from time.

Premier Division South clubs in the hat for Monday’s draw include unbeaten Weston-super-Mare, who won 2-0 at Lodge Road against rivals Yate Town, thanks to first half goals from Lloyd Humphries and Marlon Jackson.

Winchester City beat another league rival Poole Town 2-0 with Simba Mlambo after 39 minutes and Warren Bentley on 78 minutes – Poole having striker Tony Lee dismissed near the end.

Swindon Supermarine avoided any upset by beating Division One Central strugglers Cirencester Town 3-0 at the Webbswood Stadium.

A 10th-minute strike from Brad Hooper gave `Marine a lead that James Harding doubled after 51 minutes.

Zack Kotwica added a third in the 77th minute.

Beaconsfield Town needed penalties to go through against league rivals Hartley Wintney.

Dan Bradshaw gave the Rams a 42nd-minute lead.

But it looked as though The Row would be heading into the hat on Monday after Tom Leggett and a Matt Drage penalty out them in front in the 87th and 89th minute.

However, Nathan Minhas grabbed a stoppage-time equaliser for the hosts, who maintained the momentum by winning the shoot-out 3-1.

There was another thriller at Eynsham Park where North Leigh hosted league rivals Tiverton Town for the first time and won on penalties after a 3-3 draw in normal time.

Early goals from Levi Steele after 3 minutes and Amer Awadh 5 minutes later had the Millers in control.

Luis Morison reduced the deficit from the spot after 20 minutes and he repeated the act in the 36th minute to make it 2-2.

On 68 minutes, Awadh restored North Leigh’s lead

The home side’s Andy Gunn was then dismissed for preventing a goalscoring opportunity on 78 minutes and Morison completed a hat-trick of penalties.

But right near the end of normal time, Morison’s day was spoiled when he was sent-off for a second booking.

And with their penalty expert out of the frame in the shoot-out, Tiverton bowed out 5-3.

Plymouth Parkway won 2-0 at Bolitho Park against rivals Dorchester Town, thanks to goals from Harvey Bertrand from the spot after a handball by Tiago Sa, who was sent-off, and an 88th Jared Lewington second.

And Tavistock AFC won the battle of the Division One South rivals at home against Melksham Town.

Ed Harrison, Tallan Burns and Dan Koita outgunned a Sam Hendy penalty for the visitors.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button