Football Management & Technology

Report. Hornchurch 3-0 Braintree Town – Hornchurch FC


On a bright and sunny afternoon an opportunist goal by Ola Ogunwamide, and a spectacular free kick by Liam Nash gave Hornchurch a two goal cushion at the interval. The Hornchurch defence allowed Braintree very few chances in the second half and Liam Nash wrapped things up with his second goal of the match eight minutes from time.

Saturday 01-October-2022 – FA Cup Q3

HFC – Wright, Reid, Parcell, Bertram-Cooper, Hayles, Ogunwamide, Munns, Spence ©, Smith, Nash, Stimson
Unused Subs – Clark J, Christou, Clark K
HT – Remi Sutton replaced Mickey Parcell
62 – Tobi Joseph replaced Charlie Stimson
82 – Ollie Muldoon replaced David Smith

BT – Strizovic, Davies, Clements, Muscatt, White, Altintop, Clemons, Payne, Amantchi, Anderson, Reynolds
Unused Subs – Farrell, Marigliani
HT – Alfie Matthews replaced Alfie Payne
70 – Matt Rush replaced Willie Clemons
78 – Chris Regis replaced Myles Anderson

Officials – Callum Walchester with Richard Wharton and James Keane

Scorers – Ogunwamide 14 – Nash 31 – Nash 85

Bookings – Smith 33 (H) – Stimson 36 (H) – Clements 74 (BT) – Ogunwamide 74 (H) – Matthews 77 (BT)

Duration 49.00 + 50.00

Attendance 635

For the second match in succession Hornchurch were forced into a late change to the starting line-up, as Sam Higgins had to withdraw and was replaced by Ola Ogunwamide, who was quickly involved, with a run down the left wing and a cross that David Smith headed wide. Braintree gave away several free kicks inside their own half, from one of which Jack Munns swung the ball into the goalmouth, reaching Liam Nash, whose first time volley deflected for a corner, which was floated into the middle, and the ball was eventually scrambled away.

Braintree had few attacking moves, though a shot by John White went straight at Joe Wright. Hornchurch took the lead when Munns played the ball through to Ola Ogunwamide, who took advantage of a mix-up between a defender and Josh Strizovic to poke the ball home. 1-0.

Smith went close shortly afterwards, after he had ran on to a pass from Ogunwamide, and the Braintree defence was again left wide open when Wyan Reid made ground and played the ball inside to Smith, whose shot hit a defender and went out for a corner.

In a rare Braintree attack a Myles Anderson free kick came to nothing, rebounding from the defensive wall. Then came a free kick at the other end, when Smith was fouled. Liam Nash stepped up to fire a hard shot over the wall and into the net. 2-0 – with David Smith being shown a yellow card in the celebration that followed.

Charlie Stimson followed Smith into the book two minutes later for a foul on Anderson close to the half way line. A third goal almost followed when a defender tried to head a long ball back to Strizovic, who was several yards away, and the ball ran slowly past the post for a corner.

Braintree had a good chance when a corner came over to Anderson, but his header was too high and over, and Levi Amantchi went even closer with a shot that skimmed the post.

Close to half time Smith and Ogunwamide combined to win a corner. Munns sent the ball over and Nash headed wide.

Half Time – Hornchurch 2 Braintree Town 0

Alfie Matthews came on for Alfie Payne, and squandered a good chance, firing too high and over the bar. Braintree enjoyed a spell of territorial superiority but rarely threatened, the closest being a long-range attempt by White that sailed wide. At the other end Nash crossed to Smith, whose shot was dragged wide.

On the hour Nathan Cooper reacted quickly to prevent a break down the left wing, but Braintree had difficulty in finding their way past a solid defence. Tobi Joseph came on for Charlie Stimson, and sent a header narrowly wide from a Munns corner, and Lamar Reynolds missed a good chance at the other end.

Two bookings followed within a minute – Ogunwamide for a foul and Kyran Clements for a foul on Smith. Next into the book was Alfie Matthews who brought down Ogunwamide in full flight, shortly after Joe Muscatt had sent a long-range shot over the bar at the other end.

A third goal was eagerly awaited – Strizovic tipped a hard Lewwis Spence shot around the post, Reid sent the corner over, and a second corner resulted. Reid again, this time to Spence, and another corner. This time it was to Ollie Muldoon, who picked out Liam Nash. His first shot hit the bar but he followed up to score from a difficult angle – 3-0.

Nash went close twice in a minute – the first attempt cleared the bar, and the second was tipped over by Strizovic, with a breakaway at the other end in between, with Wright saving from Matthews.


Match Ball Sponsor
Match Ball Sponsors ‘The Flying Flutes’ and their man of the match, Liam Nash.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button