Football Management & Technology

Midweek Local Cup Round-Up – The Southern League


Date: Thu 06 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

There were a handful of local cup ties played this week involving clubs in the Pitching In Southern Football League.

Ashley Hay celebrates scoring the winner for Hitchin

Ashley Hay celebrates scoring the winner for Hitchin

Monday evening saw Premier Division Central side Hitchin Town being pushed all the way by Division One Central neighbours Welwyn Garden City at Top Field in the Hertfordshire Senior Cup.

Ashley Hay scored what proved to be the only goal of the game after 13 minutes.

But the Citizens` keeper Charlie Crowley made a fine save to deny Josh Coldicott-Stevens from doubling the Canaries` lead from the penalty spot.

There was, however, an `upset` in the London Senior Cup on Tuesday night as Premier Division South side Harrow Borough were beaten 2-0 at Earlsmead by Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division outfit Cockfosters.

An 11th-minute own goal by Adam Biler was followed by a Bailey Stevenson strike in the 24th minute for the visitors.

Harrow’s league rivals Yate Town may have made a poor start to their campaign but found some solace in the Gloucestershire Senior Cup by beating Division On South side Slimbridge 3-0 at Lodge Road.

The cup holders were held to 0-0 at the break, but only 3 minutes after the restart, Liban Ibrahim broke the deadlock to give the Bluebells the lead.

And just 5 minutes later, Ben McLean doubled the home side’s advantage.

The Swans were reduced to ten-men in the 69th minute when Toby Lawrence received a second yellow card.

And in the 90th minute, Olly Mehew added Yate’s third.

Slimbridge’s league rivals Frome Town scraped through to the next round of the Somerset Premier Cup with a 3-2 victory over Toolstation Western League side Wellington AFC.

Frome took a very early lead inside the opening minute through Owen Humphries.

Then, seconds after half-time, Wellington equalised with a Sam Towler penalty.

On 62 minutes, Jamie Adams restored the hosts` advantage only for Joe Wragg to pull Wellington level again 2 minutes later.

The recently returned Jack Witcombe scored Frome’s winner in the 77th minute.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button