Football Management & Technology

Herne Bay 1-2 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report – Bishop’s Stortford FC


Herne Bay 1-2 Bishop’s Stortford Match Report 8/10/22

Bishop’s Stortford progressed in the Isuzu FA Trophy with a 1-2 win at Herne Bay in the Third Qualifying Round. The Pitching In Isthmian League Premier Division table-toppers went behind to the side second from bottom in Kent, before a goal in each half saw the Blues through to the First Round Proper.


Ryan Charles’ right wing cross was headed over the cross bar by Frankie Merrifield, before Charles won a corner when his low cross was blocked as he beat the full back down the wing. A promising counter-attack for the hosts was ended when Mike West’s poor pass was intercepted by Jack Thomas and Tosin Olufemi cleared. Donell Thomas ran in behind the defence from Merrifield’s header, but his low shot was saved by Jordan Perrin. Jay Porter’s left wing cross was headed away by Chris Edwards, and Herne Bay took the lead from their next attack, with Rory Smith’s strike beating Jack Giddens via a deflection off Mark Haines from 18 yards. But the lead only lasted four minutes, as Matt Johnson nodded home the equaliser from Darren Foxley’s left wing corner. A teasing low cross from Tushaun Walters was begging to be stabbed home but no teammate could apply the finishing touch. Jack Thomas’ tackle on Walters led to a quick break from the Blues, with Merrifield superbly tackled by a Bay defender as he lined up to shoot from the edge of the box.  Harry Beadle narrowly headed over the crossbar from Foxley’s whipped free kick on the stroke of half time.

HT 1-1

Early in the second half and Foxley scored the decisive goal – his first of the season – when referee Ciaran Fidler played a great advantage for a foul on Merrifield in the centre circle, he fizzed it left to Foxley, who slotted low into the bottom right corner past Perrin. Merrifield failed to make contact with a volley attempt, with Beadle heading the ball back toward goal from a free kick. Substitute Jonny Giles made a lovely start, whipping in a curling and dipping cross towards Merrifield, but Perrin was grateful to get his gloves on the ball. Giles’ 25 yard effort was powerful but was always rising and went over the top of the goal, before Charles’ low strike was parried by Perrin. Ollie Peters fired wide from a tight angle on the right and Charles headed marginally over the top, and the Blues pushed to increase their lead. Walters whipped in a free kick from the right wing but it was well caught by Giddens, and Beadle glanced his header wide from Giles corner. Giddens got down well to keep out a central free kick by Walters, but the best chance for an equaliser fell to Mason Saunders-Henry, who struck powerfully but Beadle put his body on the line with a point blank range block to keep the ball out.


Herne Bay XI

1 Jason Perrin

2 Chris Edwards

3 Jack Parter

4 Laurence Harvey

5 Daniel Johnson

7 Tushaun Walters

10 Rory Smith (Goal 18’) (Saunders-Henry 74’)

11 Kieron Campbell (Thomas 74’)

16 Bode Anidugbe

17 Mike West (Yellow card 45+1’) (Barrington 63’)

18 Helge Orome (Yellow card 85’)


8 Mason Saunders-Henry

9 Marcel Barrington

12 Hamilton Antonio

14 Kymani Thomas

15 Eddie Allsopp

19 Monty Saunders

20 Euan Bunn

Blues XI

1 Jack Giddens

2 Jay Porter

8 Matt Johnson

10 Frankie Merrifield (c)

11 Tosin Olufemi

12 Jack Thomas

14 Darren Foxley

15 Ryan Charles

17 Mark Haines

19 Harry Beadle

20 Donell Thomas


4 Anthony Church

7 Jonny Giles

16 Josh Demetriou

18 Ollie Peters

Attendance 429


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button