Football Management & Technology

Hanwell Town 3 Cray Wanderers 1 – FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round – Saturday 8th October, Match Report


Hanwell Town vs Cray Wanderers – FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round – 8th October, 2022

Hanwell Town                                                  3

Rowe 25, Laaref 64, Barnwell 67

Cray Wanderers                                            1

Stagg 90+5

Cray Wanderers disappointing cup form continued as the Wands exited the FA Trophy following defeat at Hanwell Town in the 3rd Qualifying Round.

After a bright opening from Cray it was the home side who took command and went ahead in the 25th minute when Dan Rowe reacted quickest to a flick on to fire into the net.  Hanwell dominated for the next hour with Cray well off the pace and added to their lead in the 64th minute with a well placed shot from Adam Laaref and three minutes later Sham Barnwell scored from close range to make it 3-0 and if not for Shaun Rowley in the Wands goal could have scored more.  

Cray did pull a goal back with the last kick of the game from Tom Stagg for his first Wands goal but it was a mere consolation goal and Hanwell deserved the victory.

The Wands were looking to build on the 3-1 win at Corinthian Casuals on Wednesday night but did make three changes with Sam Skeffington, Billy Crook and Michael Ademiluyi coming in for  Freddie Carter, Ben Krauhaus and Tom Stagg.  David Ijaha filled in as centre-half.

Hanwell who have made a bright start to their league season were beaten at North Leigh in the Southern League on Tuesday night with a recent signing Dan Carr, Chid Onokwai and Kain Adom coming in for George Nicholas, Sham Barnwell and Mark Waters.

On a very bright and sunny autumnal afternoon at the Perivale Stadium, Cray began the game brightly and there was early concern for the Wands as Dan Bassett was caught in the chest by the boot of Callum Duffy and needed a few minutes of treatment.

The Wands had the first half opening when Ademiluyi found Tom Derry down the right and his ball to the far post was turned wide by Bassett.  Then from a corner from the left to the far post aimed for Jalen Jones and Mitch Chapman  was blocked and the ball cleared away.

The game got a bit scrappy for a few minutes but from the 15 minute mark Hanwell began to dominate possession, had a couple of efforts charged down, earned corners and came close when the impressive Adam Laaref down the left hit a shot which Shaun Rowley did well to turn aside.

That was a temporary reprieve as five minutes later in the 25th minute Hanwell took the lead when from a long throw from Mat Mackenzie  down the right into the area the ball was deflected into the path of Dan Rowe who steered the ball into the net.

Cray looked to get a foothold in the match and Bassett fired over while for Hanwell, Laaref’s curling ball towards goal was palmed away by Rowley.

The Wands came close in the 33rd minute when Anthony Cook’s ball into the box down the right was controlled and hooked wide of the left post by the ever hard working Tom Derry.  Then Billy Crook’s half hit shot was safely gathered by Hugo Sobte.

Three minutes before half time, from a free kick down the left, Billy Crook’s cross to the far post was headed wide by Mitch Chapman but after a little spell of pressure from the home side, the Geordie’s went in at the break in front.

HT: 1-0

At half time, Tom Stagg came on for Chapman while for Hanwell, the rangy Sham Barnwell replaced Chid Onokwai.

Hanwell came out the second half very much on the front foot and Kain Adom saw a shot cleared almost off the line by Ijaha and the follow up came to Harry Rush who fired over the top.

Then from a free kick out on the left, Rush’s shot was looking goalbound but Rowley did superbly to palm the ball over the bar for a corner.  Then a free kick on the edge of the area from Rush was headed wide by Duffy at the near post.

Cray weren’t really getting a look in but did have a rare break just after the hour when Sam Wood found Bassett down the left who looked to cut into the area but his shot went well across goal and off target.

A minute later it was close to being 2-0 when Rowe down the right cut into the area and his ball into the box was met by Barnwell and the fingers of Rowley touched the ball onto to the crossbar.

In the 64th minute Hanwell got the second goal their dominance had warranted when a ball in from the right was helped on by Rowe to Laaref down the left who coolly swept the ball into the bottom right for a fine piece of finishing.

Three minutes later and it was practically game over when a cross from Dan Carr from the right to the far post was headed in by Barnwell to make it a mountain to climb for a rather bedraggled Cray at this stage.

With the home side having comfort and being able to make changes they finally took their foot of the gas and Stagg came close for Cray with a shot which Sobte did well to turn aside for a corner.

There was concern for Wands substitute Roman Charles-Cook who had to go off after going down and feeling unwell and was replaced by Nyren Clunis for his first appearance since the Margate game in August.

Hanwell had the ball in the net twice in the last five minutes but were disallowed firstly for a foul on Rowley as Dwayne Duncan scored and then for offside shortly after.  Then Barnwell’s shot was pushed away well by Rowley and Barnwell curled just over from distance.

With five minutes of stoppage time, Stagg fired wide from Clunis’s pass and Barnwell who was a real handful in the second half was denied by a good stop from Rowley but the goal wouldn’t have counted for an offside.

Cray did have the last word on the afternoon when Stagg found space to hit a crisp shot low into the bottom right but it was the last kick of the match and the Wands who were disappointing in comparison to recent away games took their leave from the competition and were well beaten by a good side on the day who are competing well in the Southern League Premier South.

The Wands now look to rebound for the trip to Potters Bar Town on Saturday in the league and will look to move on quickly from the trip to Perivale in what will be a tough match against one of the season’s early pacesetters.

Hanwell Town: Hugo Sobte, Dan Carr, Isaac Olorunfemi, Calum Duffy, Dwayne Duncan, Harry Rush, Adam Laaref, Mat Mackenzie, Chid Onokwai (Sham Barnwell, H/T), Dan Rowe (Sam Saunders, 71), Kain Adom (Mark Waters, 78): Subs: George Nicholas, Mack Miskin, Connagh Wilks

Booked:  Carr, Duncan

Cray Wanderers: Shaun Rowley, Anthony Cook, Jalen Jones, David Ijaha, Sam Wood, Sam Skeffington, Mitch Chapman (Tom Stagg, H/T), Billy Crook, Michael Ademiluyi (Roman Charles-Cook, 53, Nyren Clunis, 84), Dan Bassett, Tom Derry: Subs: Cerny Ando, Jarghal Enkh, Nathan Boamah

Booked: Roman-Cook, Cook

Att:  221

Referee:  Thomas Whay

Assistants:  Adrian Newby, Philip Jones



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button