Football Management & Technology

Good Day for the League as Six Clubs Head Into First Round Draw


Date: Sat 15 Oct 2022

By Steve Whitney

It was a good day overall for the Pitching In Southern Football League in the Fourth Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday.

Marketmen celebrate FA Cup upset

Marketmen celebrate FA Cup upset

Monday’s First Round draw will contain six clubs from the league after three knocked out teams from the Vanarama National League, with one other drawing, and two beating teams from the other Trident Leagues.

Top billing has to go to Premier Division Central club Coalville Town, who ousted National League leaders Notts County from the competition at Meadow Lane.

Tom McGlinchey gave the visitors an early 3rd minute lead with a neat finish.

But just 6 minutes later, the Magpies were back on level terms when Sam Austin tapped in from close range.

On 23 minutes, however, Coalville went back in front with a similar finish from Ash Chambers from a cross.

County pulled level again on 66 minutes – and again it was Austin who headed home.

But Adam Stevens` heroes sealed a historic victory 4 minutes from time with a scrambled Luke Shaw effort and reward 1,400 visiting fans.

Coalville’s league rivals Needham Market are through to the First Round for the first time in their history after knocking out another National League outfit in Maidstone United at Bloomfields.

What turned out to be the only goal of the game came as early as the 9th minute when Luke Ingram fired home a Jake Dye cross from a narrow angle.

And the Marketmen didn’t just hold on – they almost doubled their lead just before the break when Ross Crane’s effort came back off the crossbar and Maidstone barely troubled home `keeper Marcus Garnham in the second period.

Premier Division South newcomers Bracknell Town reached the First Round for the first time since 2000/01 after winning 2-1 at The SB Stadium against National League North side Banbury United.

The Robins got off to a good start when Max Herbert’s corner in the 9th minute went straight in.

Home `keeper Michael Eacott made a couple of good saves to keep his side in front but was beaten in the 39th minute when Slavi Spasov headed past Eacott to make it 1-1 at the break.

However, seconds after the restart, another Herbert corner was headed home by Dan Bayliss to restore Bracknell’s lead.

The Robins came close to adding a third last on but Jack Harding made a fine save to deny Joe Grant.

But the name of Bracknell will go into the draw for the First Round on Monday.

As will their league rivals Hendon, although the Greens will require a replay at Hardenhuish Park after sharing a 2-2 draw with National League South side Chippenham Town at Silver Jubilee Park.

But all credit to Lee Allinson’s side as they trailed 2-0 at half-time to goals from Craig Fasanmade after 12 minutes and then Jordan Young’s free-kick just 3 minutes later.

Hendon were handed a lifeline 4 minutes after half-time when Frank Keita was brought down in the box and Liam Brooks duly converted the resulting penalty.

And then on 56 minutes, Brooks equalised when he fired home after a free-kick from just outside the area had come back off the crossbar.

Then, 3 minutes into stoppage time, Hendon had the opportunity to go straight through when they were awarded another penalty when Keita was again hauled down in the area and Chippenham’s Will Richards was dismissed.

However, Will Henry guessed right and saved the spot-kick.

Premier Division Central club Alvechurch are through after a crowd of 1,126 saw them survive a late comeback by Northern Premier League Division One East side Worksop Town to win 3-2.

Ina Long’s side looked to be coasting through as they led 3-0 with goals from Leo Brown after just 5 minutes, Jed Abbey right on the stroke of half-time and then Tom Edge 3 minutes after the break.

But 5 minutes from the end of normal time, Vaughan Redford reduced the deficit for the Tigers and then Liam Hughes scored a second in the 89th minute to make it a nervy finale.

Premier Division South club Merthyr Town are through to the First Round for the first time since re-forming in 2010 after beating Isthmian League Premier Division side Folkestone Invicta 2-1 at the Met Coaches Stadium.

The Martyrs hit their Kent visitors with an early first-minute goal headed home by Lewis Powell.

And then 12 minutes later, the Welsh side were two-up when Alex John volleyed past Bailey Vose from 25 yards.

An unfortunate own goal from Tom Handley pulled Invicta back into the tie 5 minutes later.

The second half saw chances for both teams, but it’s the hosts whose name goes into the draw.

Four teams bowed out on Saturday.

Premier Division South high-flyers Weston-super-Mare lost for the first time in all competitions as National League side Barnet won 3-0 at The Hive London.

The Seagulls trailed to a 32nd-minute Dominic Revan effort at half-time.

Dale Gorman eventually doubled the Bees` lead in the 71st minute and then Idris Kanu made sure with a third just 4 minutes later.

A goal from Alex Reid on the hour-mark ended Premier Division Central club Basford United’s run at the ARMCO Arena against National League side Solihull Moors.

And Basford’s league rivals St Ives Town were dumped out of the competition 3-0 at Westwood Road by National League side FC Halifax Town.

Goals from Jamie Cooke after 11 minutes and then Angelo Cappello on 83 minutes and Mani Dieseruvwe in the 90th minute secured the win for The Shaymen.

Division One Central club Biggleswade Town’s terrific run ended with a bang at the Easy As HGV Stadium where National League South side Farnborough hit seven without reply.

Robbie O’Keefe’s side trailed 3-0 at the break to goals from Selim Saied after 16 minutes, Hisham Kasimu on 31 minutes and Jonathan Page in first-half injury-time.

Almost immediately after the restart, Freddie Grant added Boro’s fourth and Saied made it a nap hand with his second on the hour-mark.

Francis Armartey, signed on loan yesterday, added a sixth in the 80th minute and sib Michael Fernandes made it 7-0 with 3 minutes remaining.

But credit the Waders for a fantastic run in the competition.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button