Football Management & Technology

Comprehensive Emirates FA Cup Second Qualifying Round Review


Date: Sat 17 Sep 2022

By Steve Whitney

Actual `upsets` were few as far as clubs from the Pitching In Southern Football League were concerned in Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup Second Qualifying Round.

Berko celebrate famous win

Berko celebrate famous win

Top billing must go to Division One Central club Berkhamsted who are through to the Third Qualifying Round for the first time after beating Vanarama National League South side Concord Rangers 2-0 at Broadwater.

Ben Walster 3 minutes from half-time and then Lynton Goss with a second on 71 minutes secured the Comrades` famous win.

Not far behind Berko are Premier Division Central side Nuneaton Borough, who triumphed 1-0 at Your Co-op Community Stadium against National League North neighbours Leamington.

The deadlock was broken in the 81st minute when Kane Richards fired home.
And then a minute later, Boro’s Matty Stenson had a penalty saved by Burton Albion loanee Callum Hawkins, but it didn’t prove costly in the end.

Several Southern League sides have a second chance of causing a surprise after draws on Saturday.

Premier Division South outfit Hartley Wintney will now fancy making it through after holding National League South side Bath City to a 2-2 draw at Twerton Park.

And that’s after coming back from being 2-0 down at half-time to goals from Alex Fletcher after 34 minutes and Cody Cooke on 43 minutes.

Kingsley Eshun reduced the deficit 20 minutes from time and then 5 minutes later, Anis Nuur came off the bench to earn a Tuesday home replay.

Two teams that battled for promotion from the Premier Division South last season, Farnborough and Hayes & Yeading United, locked horns again at the Easy As HGV Stadium and the spoils this time were shared.

Farnborough won the right to win their place back in the National League South last term and took an early 9th-minute lead through Reggie Young.

But on 25 minutes, Taylor Miles equalised for Paul Hughes` side and they now have home advantage in the replay.

Premier Division Central club Bedford Town will also have a home chance at The Eyrie after holding National League North side King’s Lynn Town to a 1-1 draw at The Walks.

The two old rivals did battle in front of a crowd of 1,009 and the Eagles opened the scoring in first half injury-time through Drew Richardson.

The Linnets equalised in the 54th minute through Michael Clunan.

Bedford’s league rivals Redditch United shared a 2-2 draw at the Trico Stadium against last season’s league rivals and now National League North side Peterborough Sports.

And, like Hartley Wintney, the Reds will be buoyed after coming back from being 2-0 down at the break to earn a second chance against the Turbines.

Lamine Sherif gave Sports a 17th-minute lead that Mark Jones doubled on 31 minutes.

Ryan Nesbitt pulled one back just past the hour-mark and then Bernard Mensah earned Matt Clarke’s side a replay 6 minutes from time.

Four other Premier Division Central clubs bowed out of the competition against higher-level opposition.

A crowd of 1,425 saw Bromsgrove Sporting push National League North side Hereford all the way at Edgar Street.

In the end, a 53rd-minute Ryan McLean effort for the Bulls proved the difference between the two sides.

A single Caleb Richards goal just past the hour-mark eventually saw the end of Tamworth’s run at Aggborough against another renowned National League North cup battler Kidderminster Harriers.

Royston Town were beaten 3-0 at Vauxhall Road by National League South hosts Hemel Hempstead Town.

Ogo Obi gave the Tudors a 28th-minute lead but it wasn’t until 8 minutes from time that the Crows conceded a second from substitute Jordan Greenidge from the penalty spot.

Brooklyn Illunga made it game over in the 90th minute.

Barwell went down 4-1 at home to National League North side Kettering Town.

Decarry Sheriff netted a hat-trick for the Poppies with Brad Gascoigne heading a fourth after Tiago Nassunculo had given the Canaries a 33rd-minute lead.

Two Premier Division South clubs were beaten at home by teams from the National League South.

Winchester City must have fancied their chances against a struggling Weymouth side who have recently parted company with manager David Oldfield.

But teams who have just changed managers can often be dangerous opponents, and so it proved for the Citizens.

All the goals came in the opening 45 minutes,

Harry Kyprianou gave the visitors an early 5th-minute lead that a Brad Ash penalty doubled after 15 minutes and then 3 minutes later, the Terras were awarded a second spot-kick and this time Ahkeem Rose converted.

Ahmed Obeng pulled one back just before the break, but Winchester were unable to make any further breakthroughs.

Salisbury suffered a 2-1 defeat at the Ray Mac against Oxford City.

A debut goal for Fulham loanee Ollie Sanderson broke the deadlock on the hour-mark to put the Hoops ahead and just 2 minutes later, Lewis Coyle doubled the visitors` lead.

It wasn’t until 6 minutes into stoppage time that Dan Fitchett netted a consolation for the Whites.

Division One South neighbours AFC Totton and Sholing both bowed out away at National League South opponents.

The Stags went down 1-0 in the derby at Westleigh Park against Havant & Waterlooville, whose Muhammadu Faal scored the only goal after 24 minutes.

The Boatmen went down to a 3-0 defeat at Hardenhuish Park to Chippenham Town.

Jordan Young, Luke Russe and Harvey Greenslade with the Bluebirds` goals.

And Division One Central club Waltham Abbey were edged out by the odd goal in five at Cappershotts against Isthmian League Premier Division visitors Brightlingsea Regent.

Goals either side of half-time from Sam Jeremiah and Ollie Sotoyinbo put Regent in control.

Christian Adu-Gyamfi pulled the Abbots back into the tie 5 minutes after the restart, only for Harrison Carnegie to make it 3-1 to the visitors on 63 minutes.

And although player boss Billy Holland pulled a second back for the hosts, they weren’t able to find a leveller.

Six more Premier Division Central clubs go into Monday’s draw after surviving potential banana skins.

Alvechurch eased through 4-0 at Lye Meadow against Northern Premier Division One Midlands new boys Harborough Town, courtesy of braces from Danny Waldron after 24 and 27 minutes – the second from the spot – and Leo Brown after 74 and 79 minutes.

There was big support for NPL Division One West newcomers Macclesfield FC in the 1,070 crowd at the MSCC Stadium but in the end, a last-minute Tendai Chitiza effort saw the Ravens through 1-0.

St Ives Town enjoyed a good 3-0 success at Isthmian North hosts Canvey Island, thanks to three goals in the opening period from Myles Cowling, a Jonny Edwards penalty and Enoch Andoh.

Needham Market overcame Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division side Sheringham 2-0 at Bloomfields.

A 27th-minute Jacob Lay goal was eventually doubled by Ross Crane in the 90th minute.

And Basford United also won 2-0 at Greenwich Avenue against United Counties League Premier Division South side Rugby Town, thanks to an Anthony Dwyer penalty and one from recent recruit Luther Munakandafa.

Ilkeston Town, however, will need a replay as they were held to a 1-1 draw at UCL Premier Division North hosts Anstey Nomads.

A 76th-minute Chris O’Grady effort from 25 yards earned the Robins a second go after a deflected Corey Armeni goal had given the Step 5 side a 42nd minute lead.

Four more Premier Division South clubs also made it through against outside opposition.

An 18th-minute Reuben Reid goal was just enough in the end to see off plucky Toolstation Western League Premier Division side Shepton Mallet at the Optima Stadium.

Metropolitan Police were given a helping hand in their eventual 3-1 win at Imber Court against Isthmian South East side Burgess Hill Town.

Leading by a Luke Robertson goal after 25 minutes, the Met were pulled back by Jeff Duah-Kessie on the hour-mark.

But the Hillians had defender Brad Santos sent-off for a second bookable offence in the 67th minute and Archy Taylor converted the resulting penalty to restore the home side’s lead – a lead they added to against the ten-men through Josh Keeya 10 minutes from time.

Hanley Town edged through 2-1 at another Isthmian South east outfit, Cray Valley PM, coming back from a 38th minute Dan Bennett goal down to win, courtesy of Kweku Lucan 5 minutes into the second half and Shomari Barnwell after 62 minutes.

And Hendon saw off Isthmian Premier Division Wingate & Finchley 3-1 at Silver Jubilee Park with goals from David Diedhou after 12 minutes, Robbie Buchanan on 34 minutes and Joe White right on half-time.

Dylan Kearney `won` the second half for Wingate with a 55th-minute reply.

Division One Central club Biggleswade Town can look forward to Monday’s draw after an excellent 3-0 success at Rookery Hill against fast-falling Isthmian North side East Thurrock United.

Jon Clements after 18 minutes and a Charlie Smith brace in first half injury-time and then on 57 minutes saw the Waders safely through.

Division One South new boys Bishops Cleeve must replay at Western League Premier Division Helston Athletic after a 3-3 draw at Kayte Lane.

Cleeve equalised in the 5th minute of stoppage time.

In all Southern League internal affairs, Yate Town edged out Tiverton Town 2-1 at the South West Interiors Stadium.

Prince Henry after 30 minutes gave Yate a lead that Lucas Vowles levelled 12 minutes from time.

But in the 84th minute, a Khari Allen `screamer` sealed Yate’s passage into the Third Qualifying Round.

It was a tight game too at the Webbswood Stadium where Henry Spalding’s fierce drive after 34 minutes saw Swindon Supermarine through at the expense of in-form Dorchester Town, whose Harry Lee saved a Connor McDonagh penalty just after the hour-mark.

Newly promoted North Leigh found themselves 2-0 up at Eynsham Park against Plymouth Parkway

Luke Carnell after 18 minutes and Roger James 5 minutes later had the Millers in command.

But Parkway, also promoted this season, pulled one back 10 minutes into the second half through Billy Palfrey and then equalised in the 71st minute through Jared Lewington.

North Leigh’s dreams were then shattered 3 minutes into stoppage time when Ben Seymour grabbed Parkway’s winner.

Gosport Borough were made to scrap hard for their 1-1 home draw at Privett Park against Division One South side Paulton Rovers.

A goal 8 minutes from time from Dan Wooden looked to have seen Boro through, only for a stoppage time leveller from a corner taken by Will Harvey that went straight in earned Rovers a home chance.

And Gosport’s league rivals Merthyr Town also have to travel to replay at Division One Central side Cirencester Town after also drawing 1-1 at the Met Coaches Stadium.

A 23rd-minute Ricardo Reid effort gave the Martyrs a lead that Adulai Sambu levelled in first-half injury-time.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button